Monday, September 8, 2014

First Day of School!

Sissy trying to help G with his tie.
 G ready to walk out the door for his 1st day of Jr. High.

Brother R helping him get his tie on. R is a snappy dresser and understands these things more than G does.
G ready for school orientation.

Yah, we're in the groove for school.
 First day of school at home too!

 R and his little helpers.;-)

 Babies C and B spent a lot of the morning in Grandpa's daycare. They seemed to have a wonderful time!


 Well, everyone else seems to be taking up books
so we will too. J LOVES LOVES books. He reminds us a lot of G.
Grandma J working with A on her school work.
 Big C working away at one of his worksheets.
He is an excellent student and worked so hard and so 
carefully.

I was ready for school to start. The fact that I am typing those words shocks me but also tells me I felt I got a sufficient break from school. Big C was so excited for school to start and after we got going he asked me if I would home school him until he was done with school. I don't know about that but Big C did a tremendous job and worked so carefully and cheerfully. I am so excited to see his growth curve by the end of the year. It is a joy to teach him. I love it.

Let me first say I am NOT one of those amazing home school moms that do it all. This year my oldest is off to regular school and 2 out of the 3 kids that are home do video school. I only hands on teach one child. I am surrounded by amazing people and that tends to cause me more respect than I deserve. Right now my mom is here to help out for a month. My mom is a former elementary school teacher and her insight and ideas help me out SOOOOO Much!! My husband is an amazing helper also and does soo much.   

The first day of school seemed SOOO easy! I knew the fact that my dad who was watching the 3 youngest kiddos and my mom who was over seeing the older kids was causing that EASY DAY feeling. Thankfully my mom and dad didn't leave at the same time. My dad left in the middle of the week and sure enough when we had to do school without him the girls cried and fussed.:-) We made it through though.

G had a great first week in Jr. High. He had a few tense moments of finding out what is expected but by the end of the week he was coming home wanting to tell about the good day he had at school!! One boy he talked to had hiked some of the Appallacian Trail and enjoyed his experience. Gabriel enjoys all his classes except Composition. He is still learning organization and bringing things home for school work but is doing a great job.

He was having a hard time organizing his locker so I told him I would come in with him the next morning and work at organizing it. I got it all organized and he was SOOOOO thankful and so sweet and thanking me. He wasn't embarrassed about his mom being there, etc. I walked out and almost felt like crying watching G in that type of school setting. He was so polite and kind so thankful to his Mommy for coming to help him. I am thankful for him:-)

It was a big week for him because he also went to his first youth group Wednesday night this week. He was SOOO nervous about this definitely more nervous than school. G is a good swimmer but is not an athlete in typical sports and he was very nervous about youth group and playing games like basketball, etc. I told him usually it is not athletic games that are played but things like dodge ball. He came home and he LOVED it! He was telling me about the Bible message and what it was about and the story it was taught from and that it was good. He told me they played dodge ball ( I made him say to me "you were right";-) He said he got out pretty quick but it didn't seem to bother him. He met a girl (nothing goofy in this he just had a great time talking to her) whose dad is a Navy Seal and so understands military life AND she is a military history buff! He enjoyed talking with her.

The younger kids went to a group called Master's Club and they loved that! J will get to go next year since they have a group for 3 year olds.

"A" this week started piano with her new teacher here. I had never met the lady in person so was not sure how it would be but when "A" was done with her class the teacher said that she and "A" were going to get along with each other. "A" felt very comfortable and good about the pick so that is very good.

It felt like a successful week.













No comments:

Post a Comment