Thursday, May 21, 2015

Up From Slavery-By Booker T. Washington

This book was AMAZING and was NOTHING at all what I expected! Mr. Washington had a tremendous outlook on life despite extreme hardship both for him as an individual and his race.  It was fascinating to hear him recount his life, his values, and the principles he chose to teach to those who came through his institute. All his accounts are told without complaining, anger, or bitterness. He allowed the circumstances in his life to make him stronger and better not angry and bitter. I think this is a must read for every person and parent. I know I plan on having my kids read it.

Some quotes:

". . . I think I began learning that those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. This lesson I have tried to carry with me ever since."

Talking of General Armstrong, a man he held very high and the influence he would have on the students . . . "The older I grow, the more I am convinced that there is no education which one can get from books and costly apparatus that is equal to that which can be gotten from contact with great men and women. Instead of studying books so constantly, how I wish that our schools and colleges might learn to study men and things!"

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Lots and Lots of great thoughts, ideas, and attitudes to mimic throughout the book.

It was so funny, I told my dad I was reading this book and he was reading it too!!!! My dad works for a curriculum company and this is part of their reading for high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment